is the nucleus of the Province of Tarlac. Tarlac City’s history may be likened to the History of Tarlac Province itself through the years, Tarlac City, formerly known as Tarlac Town, has survived natural and political crises among others, yet, has proven itself as a fast emerging cosmopolitan in the region. It was formally founded in 1788. It has been said that this town was formerly a part of Porac, Pampanga.

Tarlac City started out as the earliest native settlement occupied by the Spaniards during the Spanish Period. Tarlac was organized into a praesido (fort) as early as 1593 and was located in a sitio called Porac. By 1788, Tarlac was raised into a civil town independent of Porac.

Its early settlers came from Bacolor,Pampanga, among them were Don Carlos Miguel and Don Narciso Castañeda, who before 1788, with their families and followers trekked through the forests and hills of Porac and Bamban until they finally reached and settled down in what is today called Tarlac City. Later, the community was converted into a town in which Don Carlos Miguel prepared and forwarded the resolution to the Spanish authorities.


The first gobernadorcillo (later called municipal) was Don Carlos Miguel in 1788. Together with Don Narciso Castañeda, he established the foundation of Tarlac Town. Don Luis Briones in 1789 followed him.

The Little community grew rapidly as settlers from Zambales, Pampanga, Bataan and elsewhere flocked the town. Tarlac became the most multicultural of the Central Luzon Provinces with a mixture of four district groups, the Pampangos, Ilocanos, Pangasinenses, and Tagalogs, sharing life in the province thus making it The Pampanga dialect became the native language of the town as it was part of Pampanga province in those days.


Tarlac is represented prominently in the eight rays of the Philippine flag because it was among the first provinces to join the revolution in 1896. The K.K.K. of Andres Bonifacio found early adherents among Tarlaquenos, headed by Don Francisco Tañedo, who was killed in an encounter with the Spanish guardia civil during the beginning of the revolution. On June 25, 1898, Tarlac was liberated by Generals Francisco Macabulos and Jose Alejandrino and Spanish soldiers surrendered in Tarlac.

It has a significant share in the history of our nation since it was the last capital of the First Philippine Republic and seat of the Revolutionary Congress convened in San Sebastian Cathedral under General Emilio Aguinaldo from June 21 to November, 1899.

Although short-lived and battered by issues during that period, the cabecera became a witness to that historical event. It was the home of very significant laws enacted by the Aguinaldo Government.


Tarlac City’s main thoroughfare, was named after Don Francisco Tañedo, a local Katipunan leader who led Tarlaqueños in the struggle against Spain.

He was a descendant of one of the city’s pioneers, Don Carlos Miguel, the first gobernadorcillio of the then Tarlac town. The Claveria Decree of 1849 required Filipinos to adopt Spanish surnames with the same first letter as their residence. The Miguels chose the surname Tañedo.

Historical accounts show that Don Kikoy as he was fondly called served as an aide to Gen. Antonio Luna and he founded the first masonic lodge in the province, the Logio Filipino Gran Nacional Orient.

He was a friend of our national hero, Dr. Jose Rizal who encouraged him to join the Masonry whenever he visits Don Kikoy in Tarlac.

Don Francisco Tañedo was tortured and died a martyr’s death when he was captured by the Spanish guardia civil and refused to divulge information about the revolution. His early death inflamed the citizenry and spurred them into vigorous revolutionary action.

In recognition of his heroism and supreme sacrifice, the city’s main street was named after him.


According to statistics compiled by the Philippine government, the most dominant religion in the city is Christianity. The majority of Christians are Roman Catholics followed by a large concentration of Iglesia ni Cristo (Church of Christ). Other Christian groups belong to various Protestant denominations. There are some being non-Christian such as Muslims, etc.


also referred to as the Tarlac Cathedral, is a post-war, Neo-Gothic church located in Brgy. Mabini, Tarlac City, Philippines. The cathedral, which was dedicated to Saint Sebastian in 1686, is the seat of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Tarlac.


local congregation of Tarlac City, Ecclesiastical District of Tarlac City, Tarlac is located in 103 Zamora Street Barangay San Roque Tarlac City, Tarlac 2300, Philippines.
 is an independent Nontrinitarian Christian Church, founded in 1913 and registered by Felix Y. Manalo in 1914 as a unipersonal religious corporation to the Insular Government of the Philippines.


is a worldwide mainline Protestant denomination based in the United States, and a major part of Methodism. In the 19th century, its main predecessor, the Methodist Episcopal Church, was a leader in evangelicalism.